Communities In Schools is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization.
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Download a copy of our Fact Sheet here.
What is CISMCC?
- Nationally Accredited Communities In Schools Affiliate
- Part of a nationwide network of CIS affiliates—one of a very small number of dropout prevention programs in the country proven to keep students in school and is the only dropout prevention program in the nation with research to prove that it increases graduation rates.
- A local nonprofit supported by a combination of federal, state and local public funds and other local private, corporate and individual contributions.
- Governed by a 20 member Board of Directors which includes leaders of the school districts, the local business community, social service and child serving agencies, and post-secondary educational institutions.
- Serving students in Marietta City Schools (especially Dunleith Elementary, Marietta Middle School and Marietta High School) and Cobb County Schools (especially Osborne High School and Pebblebrook High School).
- Partnering with both school districts to support the Performance Learning Centers which are non-traditional high schools for students who are not succeeding in traditional school.
The FIVE CIS Basics
We believe that every child needs and deserves:
- A personal, one-on-one relationship with a caring adult;
- A healthy start;
- A safe place to learn and grow;
- A marketable skill to use upon graduation;
- A chance to give back to peers and community
CIS Marietta/Cobb Current Programs
- Ambassador Leadership Program
- CISMCC Mentoring Program for high school students – View CISMCC Mentor Fact Sheet
- College Success Corps/College Access Challenge
- Georgia Literacy Connection (GLC) tutoring for grades K-5 – View GLC Fact Sheet
- Parents as Teachers (PAT) Ages 0–5 years – View PAT Fact Sheet
- Parents Assuring Student Success (PASS) – View PASS Fact Sheet
- Reality U- Financial literacy simulation
- Youth Assets Program for college and job readiness
- See the Events menu for more!
Successes In 2012-2013
- 154 High School Graduates
- 2,762 Students served (PLCs, Sites, Reality U, Community Events, Book Distributions, Youth Assets, Tutoring, Early Learning)
- 305 Parents served
- 56 Preschool Children served
- 1,400+ New books distributed to students
- 14 Schools Served
- 668 Community Volunteers donated 7,600 Volunteer hours; $154,903 in value